District Attorney Announces - Sayantan Ghose

By: Press Release - Galveston County District Attorney
| Published 02/01/2020


On January 23, 2020, Sayantan Ghose was found guilty of murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon; capping off a two week trial that began on January 13, 2020. Ghose has elected the Court to assess his punishment. Sentencing will be held on February 26, 2020. On June 28, 2017 Officers were dispatched to the home of Amanda and Wayne Harris. Officers arrived and encountered Mrs. Harris with a gunshot wound to her left leg and left arm and Mr. Harris with various gunshot wounds. Ghose and Harris had divorced in December 2008. Since that time, Ghose would repeatedly come over uninvited to Amanda’s home, even after she married Wayne Harris in 2012. In 2013, the couple, while living in Tomball, had a criminal trespass warning issued to Ghose. The couple would eventually move to their home in League City in late 2015. Ghose continued to show up uninvited in attempts to visit with Amanda and Wayne Harris’s daughter. Witnesses testified that Ghose had become obsessed with the eleven-year-old girl. It was this history between the Harris family and Ghose that ended with Ghose murdering Wayne Harris and injuring Amanda Harris in 2017. On the evening of June 28, 2017 Ghose was once again showing up uninvited to the Harris’s residence. Wayne and Amanda Harris decided at that moment they were going to make a citizen’s arrest. They held Ghose up at gunpoint and informed him that they were making a citizen’s arrest on him and that they were calling 911. The 911 dispatcher that answered Amanda Harris’s call told her that she and her husband needed to put down their guns and that police were on the way. Amanda and Wayne Harris both put down their guns. Amanda Harris testified that at this point Ghose attempted to leave. Mr. Harris attempted to stop him from leaving unaware that Ghose was also carrying a firearm that night. As soon as Mr. Harris reached Ghose, Ghose turned around and shot him seven times, killing him. Ghose then shot Amanda Harris twice as well. Both Mr. and Mrs. Harris were unarmed when they were shot. Mrs, Harris survived and was able to flee inside the house. Ghose was seen on surveillance footage following Mrs. Harris with his gun all the way to door before she closes it. Amanda and Wayne Harris’s daughter was also in the car waiting for her parents saw the shootings firsthand. Ghose fled the scene before police arrived. A warrant went out for his arrest soon afterward. He was picked up in New Mexico the next day, having fled the state. Ghose faces a punishment range of imprisonment in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice for life or for any term of not more than 99 years or less than 5 years. Ghose was prosecuted by Chief Assistant District Attorney James Haugh and Chief Assistant District Attorney Charlotte Kim in the 122nd District Court, with Judge John Ellisor presiding. The District Attorney’s Office would like to thank the League City Police.